Custom Pages

Friday 4 March 2016

Challenging Mental health & Self-esteem

Friday 4 March 2016

This has been abit of a weird post, that I've been wanted to post for some time, but just didn't really have the right words for it, so it's taken a few attempts to gather my thoughts into what I actually wanted this post to be about and what it was I wanted to talk about. And its partially about mental health and self esteem.


I've spoke about my break from life a few times, it's no secret that over the last few years I've really struggled with anxiety, especially socially. These can range from silly things, such as doing my grocery shopping alone, to not being able to concentrate properly on my university work.
These thoughts have caused me to almost put a pause on my life. I've briefly touched upon this 'break' period that I've been taking, I left my wonderful job at a company I really loved, which I was absolutely gutted about. I decided to intermit my course at university, just because I couldn't cope with all the pressure.

A break has been good for me but now I feel like my self confidence is at an all time low. I have major job anxiety, handing out my CV to people scares the crap out of me because I will have to engage in conversations with strangers, not hearing back from jobs, makes me feel worthless. Anxiety is a crazy powerful thing.

So what exactly is this post about?
I'm not exactly sure, but I need things to change. I'm attending assessment for CBT, so I can work out why I have these feelings and how I can increase my self worth and esteem.
I know I'm a great creative person that can succeed in anything I want to and I don't want to let anxiety hold me back from achieving my goals.

I thought I would let you guys know (If you're struggling) what I'm doing to get myself out of the 'self esteem rut'

Getting out of that 'self esteem rut'

  • Surround yourself with Friends
Surrounding myself with positive people and friends makes me feel much more confident and alot of the time friends want to help and support you, whether you think they will or not. It helps me stay distracted from overthinking in my head.

  • Take necessary steps
Nobody should feel low, or worthless. If if something you can't deal with alone, or something you have been experiencing for a long time, its time to take the necessary steps to get a healthier mind. This could be visiting your doctor to speak about medication or treatments such as CBT & Counselling.

  • Set yourself small goals 
Set yourself small achievable goals. I'll be writing more about this soon. But setting yourself small targets can be really helpful. Maybe you completed all of your laundry, went out in public on your own or spoke to a complete stranger. These are all personal experiences of mine, but sometimes the everyday little tasks can seem impossible if you're struggling with mental health.

  • Live a mindful lifestyle
Challenge yourself to live a healthy routine. Switch off for bedtime and read a book, set alarms for the morning and get up, take a shower, try to live in a routine as much as possible. Cut out alcohol, although a good idea at the time, it does make you feel more depressed and down. If you can leave the house, go for a walk, get some fresh air and try to make healthy mindful choices.

So this is my realization that things in my life need to change, and I'm not going to sit around and let something like anxiety beat me.

<3



No comments :

Emily Atelier + BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio