Custom Pages

Friday 28 August 2015

DIY Thor: A Female Cosplay

Friday 28 August 2015


I've never really done a 'cosplay' post before, mainly because well I didn't really know what I wanted to blog about back then, but it's part of what I love doing!
This was probably my first costume that I actually put alot of thought and materials into after I made a tinkerbell cosplay a few years ago.
This was for a superhero's event and Thor is my favourite, so it was an obvious choice! So I'll show you how I made my Thor gender-bend cosplay outfit!
(Sorry for the crap quality images, they were taken quickly on my phone whilst making)


Firstly,

I always do my research. I have a little cosplay board on pinterest, where I pin all my possible cosplay ideas. From small tutorials to just anything I find inspiring or might help with my design. Then I design it in a quick sketch of how I want it to look, then go ahead sourcing the materials.


After my research,

I concluded that I wanted a breast plate style armor as I was going to be a female Thor. I found out alot of cosplayers used craft foam in their outfits. As I had never dealt with any other materials I decided that the foam would be cheap and easy to use so I bought some from my nearest craft store. 
I then chose a really old bra, (because of my boobies I wanted it to fit correctly) I then used my hairdryer for heat to mold the foam into the positions I wanted it to and then hot glue gunned the foam to the bra material. And left me with the photograph above! 

After all the glue-ing and molding, I took it outside and sprayed it with a grey primer. Some people said online the foam wouldn't react well to being spray painted without first priming it. I obviously didn't want to take the risk so primed it a couple of times and let that dry. Hence why the photo is at night time (whoops)

The black parts of the image are is the fabric from the bra underneath. I did spray primer on this too for an even coverage, but its just not very visible.


I had ordered a wig online, just from eBay, and about 2 Metres of red cotton for the cape.

After the breastplate had dried (from the primer) I tested out to see how it looked and felt on my actual body. I was surprised how well it fitted and how awesome it looked after I tied the cape onto the straps!


Painting

After all the priming and adjusting, I went ahead and began spray painting the breastplate. I went with some car paint in Silver. I sprayed this several times for an even coat and coverage.


You can really tell the difference from the primer, to the metallic paint. This part was super fun, after a few coats between drying I then began to work into the details. I used acrylic paint to make it less shiny and 'worn' looking.





If I made this again I would probably extend the sides as foam so it would be a full piece, but I was happy at how it turned out! I attached two circular rings, which I stuffed with tissue to have a more 3D look. I used these to also hide where I had attached the cape to the straps. I had so much fun completing the breastplate and I can't wait to improve it for Comic Con :D


For the 'helmet' I used a headband and used the craft foam again. I tried to layer them over each other to give them a 3D sort of look. It was all just a matter of drawing things up and seeing what looked best!


I primed and spray painted these too, before putting them altogether. I also made these wrist covers with foam and some hair bobbles!

After all this, I glued them all together!








So there we have it! That is how I made my Thor Costume! This was my first cosplay post, but I hope to make some more, especially as I'm making a new one at the moment.

Hope you enjoyed it!






No comments :

Emily Atelier + BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio